Ages ago, I held a giveaway for these great pie crusts for Wewalka. I still prefer their crusts to frozen or any other pre-made, ready-to-roll crusts. And no, I haven’t made my own and I have no plans, really. I was looking back on that recipe and good gravy it’s missing some detail. Really, y’all couldn’t point it out?
I made this pie again today and man oh man, I wanna stick my face in it. This buttermilk pie is the perfect way to use up extra buttermilk (I used local milk from Cheek Farmstead Creamery viaHigh Country Food Hub and it’s such a great little dessert. Kind of like a vanilla chess pie, but with some extra tanginess. Enjoy!
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 – 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk ( I whole or fat-free is fine)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or just another teaspoon of extract)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional but yummy)
- 1 prepared pie crust
Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Place your pie crust in a 9 inch pie dish, fluting the crust as you see fit if you’ve rolled one out. As you can see above, I’m terrible at it. For easier transport, place prepared pie dish on a cookie sheet BEFORE you pour your mixture in.
- Beat eggs until foamy. Add butter, flour, 1 cup of the sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla, lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Beat until smooth. Taste for sweetness, if you like it a bit sweeter, add the remaining 1/4 of flour.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Enjoy with whipped cream (or not) and/or berries (or not). I like mine plain. But I’m a simple girl.
Pingback: GIVEAWAY!! New Wewalka USA Pie Crust | triadfoodies